Norwich 100 (Week 21)

By: photographicyear

May 27 2012

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Category: Uncategorized

Leave a comment

Focal Length:28mm
Shutter:1/0 sec
Camera:NIKON D3100

This weekend, I took part in the Norwich 100 British Heart Foundation bike ride. We got up early, so that we could be at the start just before 7am. When I left the house at just after 6am it was already really warm, a sign that today was going to be really hot.

There were loads of people at the start which was at Norwich Cathedral a really lovely place to start. We were in a group of about 7 of us, a couple of people were doing the shorter 25 or 50 mile route, but 5 of us were going the full 100. Before leaving we all pinned on our numbers and slapped on the suncream ready for a day in the sun!

After about 2 hours of riding we reached the first refreshment stop and refilled the water bottles. A little while after this the longer and shorter routes split and the 5 of us pushed on to the refreshment stop. Between this stop at lunch there were a few good hills (well hills for Norfolk anyway) as we headed north towards the coast. We got our first glimpses of the sea before arriving near Blakeney and then following the coast road with the sea visible to our left most of the time.
At about 11:20 we arrived at the lunch stop at Sheringham high school where you have a compulsory 30mins rest stop. We stayed a little longer as we’d found a nice shady spot and it was starting to get really hot.
So just after 12 we headed out again, for a stretch along the whole coast line down to Horsey. We went through Cromer, Overstrand, Mundasley, Bacton, Happisburgh, Sea Palling most of the little towns were fairly busy with lots of people enjoying a day out at the seaside. We finally reached the next rest stop, they seemed to have been heavily front loaded in the morning, at Horsey Mill where we rested for a few mins and refilled the water bottles again, before getting back on the bikes for the final 25-30miles. By this point most of us were a little sore when we sat back on the saddles, but we were going at a nice pace so none of us were feeling over tired.

We now started heading back in land, and thankfully there were no more hills to climb, we had brief glimpses of parts of the broads, but didn’t spot any exciting birds. We had a short pause at the final refreshment stop in Coltishall before heading for the finish.

We arrive back just after 1700, with riding time of just over 7 hours and a total time including breaks of about 9.5 hours.

When we arrived back in the Cathedral we were handed a medal, and certificate and a much needed bottle of water.
The 2 members of the group who had done the shorter route were there to greet us, and had very kindly baked some delicious strawberry, rhubarb and walnut cakes and brought some lovely refreshing cool apple juice.
We stayed a little while in the Cathedral grounds catching up before getting back on the bike for the cycle home. I could feel my knees starting to ache as I cycled those last few miles home.

All in all it was a great day, no punctures, no injuries, a little bit of sunburn but mainly just memories of a fun day. I’m already looking forward to next year.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: